The lats are a large flat muscle that has origin points at the mid and lower spine, the iliac crest (pelvis), and the ribs. Well-developed lats give the appearance of a wider back, therefore making the waist look smaller.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip, arms and shoulders fully extended.
- Pull your body up until your chin is above the bar.
- Lower your body back to starting position.
- Lay underneath a fixed horizontal bar and grab the bar with a wide overhand grip.
- Pull your body straight up to the bar.
- Return to the starting position, your arms fully extended. Repeat.