The calves are composed of two muscles, the gastrocnemius, and the soleus. Both muscles are active every time the ankle joint flexes. In other words, the calves are involved every time you take a step, stand up, or jump.
Walking Calf Raises
- Walk forward and push your toe into the ground
- Lift you heel off the ground each step and tense your calf muscle
- Repeat on each leg and walk forward slowly
Tip Toe Walking
- Point your toes into the floor.
- Slowly walk forwards and backward
- Keep your heels in the air as long as possible while walking.
- It may be beneficial to do this last at the end of your workout.
- Balance on the balls of your feet on the platform or plates, leaning forward to use the wall to assist with balance.
- Lower the heels of your feet towards the ground and pause, then push through the balls of your feet like you are standing tip toe, pausing at the apex of the motion.
- Repeat as necessary.