For both men and women, the deltoids, also referred to as delts, are a very desirable muscle to build. Well-developed shoulders can give the appearance of a smaller waist (because the shoulders look broader). Therefore, well-trained delts improve the look of the entire physique.
The deltoid has three different heads: anterior (front), lateral (middle), and posterior (rear). Each head has similar functions, but they do have some variance.
Elevated Pike Press
- Use a bench or an object to elevate your feet.
- Lower your head towards the floor by bending your elbows
- Push through your hands and return to the starting pike position.
- Use a bench to elevate your feet.
- Put your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width.
- Slowly lower your body until your chest almost touches the ground
- Raise your body until you almost lock your elbows.
- Grip the edge of the bench with your hands, Keep your feet together and legs straight.
- Lower your body straight down.
- Slowly press back up to the starting point.
- TIP: Make this harder by raising your feet off the floor and adding weight.
Elevated Pike Shoulder Shrug
- Use a bench or an object like a chair to elevate your feet.
- Slowly lower your body (scapula) while keeping your elbows locked (this is key)
- Slowly raise your body back to the start position.