The triceps are a muscle with three heads, hence the name. Those heads are the long head, lateral head, and medial head. The triceps are traditionally considered a powerhouse due to their overwhelmingly fast twitch. This expression refers to muscle fibers which expend energy quickly, and the triceps are particularly dominant in this trait. The triceps are involved during any pushing movement.
- Hold your body with arms locked above the equipment
- Lower your body slowly while leaning forward, flare out your elbows
- Raise your body above the bars until your arms are locked.
- Place your hands firmly on the ground, directly under shoulders.
- Flatten your back so your entire body is straight and slowly lower your body
- Draw shoulder blades back and down, keeping elbows tucked close to your body
- Exhale as you push back to the starting position.
Elevated Pike Press
- Use a bench or an object to elevate your feet.
- Lower your head towards the floor by bending your elbows
- Push through your hands and return to the starting pike position.
- Grip the edge of the bench with your hands, Keep your feet together and legs straight.
- Lower your body straight down.
- Slowly press back up to the starting point.
- TIP: Make this harder by raising your feet off the floor and adding weight.