For both men and women, the deltoids, also referred to as delts, are a very desirable muscle to build. Well-developed shoulders can give the appearance of a smaller waist (because the shoulders look broader). Therefore, well-trained delts improve the look of the entire physique.
The deltoid has three different heads: anterior (front), lateral (middle), and posterior (rear). Each head has similar functions, but they do have some variance.
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Sit on a bench with back support. Raise the dumbbells to shoulder height with your palms forward.
- Raise the dumbbells upwards and pause at the contracted position.
- Lower the weights back to starting position.
Side Lateral Raises
- Stand up straight with dumbbells at either side, palms facing your hips.
- Raise your arms on either side with a slight bend in your elbow until they are parallel with the floor. Pause at the top of the motion.
- Slowly return your arms down to starting position.
- Grab two dumbbells while standing upright with the dumbbells at your side.
- Raise the two dumbbells with your elbows being fully extended until the dumbbells are eye level.
- Lower the weights in a controlled manner to the starting position and repeat.
Seated Bent-Over Rear Delt Fly
- With dumbbells in either hand, bend your knees with your feet slightly bowed out. Arch your back above your knees, and start with the weights touching in front of your chest.
- With bent elbows, raise your arms up to shoulder level, pausing at the at the end of the motion.
- Slowly lower your arms back to starting position.