The triceps are a muscle with three heads, hence the name. Those heads are the long head, lateral head, and medial head. The triceps are traditionally considered a powerhouse due to their overwhelmingly fast twitch. This expression refers to muscle fibers which expend energy quickly, and the triceps are particularly dominant in this trait. The triceps are involved during any pushing movement.
Cable Push Downs
- Grip the pulley bar with palms facing down at shoulder width.
- Stand straight with a small forward incline. Keep your upper arms close to your body, and slowly bring the pulley bar down until your arms are fully extended.
- Pause when you are at the contracted position of the motion, then slowly raise the pulley bar back to the starting point.
- Hold your body with arms locked above the equipment
- Lower your body slowly while leaning forward, flare out your elbows
- Raise your body above the bars until your arms are locked.
Laying Triceps Extensions
- Lay on a flat bench while holding a barbell with a shoulder-width grip.
- Fully extend your elbows until the barbell is directly over your chest.
- Begin to flex your elbows and allow the barbell to nearly touch your forehead.
- Extend your elbows back to the starting position and repeat.
Close Grip Bench Press
- Lay flat on the bench with your feet on the ground. With a narrow grip on the bar, straighten your arms
- Lower the bar to your lower-mid chest
- Slowly raise the bar until you've locked your elbows.