The lats are a large flat muscle that has origin points at the mid and lower spine, the iliac crest (pelvis), and the ribs. Well-developed lats give the appearance of a wider back, therefore making the waist look smaller.
- Place both hands on the wall in front of you.
- Slowly lower your body until you feel the stretch.
- Hold at the bottom of the stretch, return to starting position.
- Stand up right and raise your hand to a full stretch above your head.
- Slowly lean across your body and trace the opposite hand down your leg.
- Hold at the bottom of the stretch, return to starting position and then switch sides.
- Find a wall to lean against, lay your tricep against the wall with your hand behind your back.
- Slowly lean into the wall.
- Return to starting position, then switch sides.